Thursday, May 10, 2007

To be or not to be........cynical

Anyone can be an idealist…Anyone can be a cynic…The hard part lies somewhere in the middle, i.e. in being human. Very wise words from an equally wise classmate of mine. I used to be an idealist. I believed that the end of is always happy and if it isn’t happy, then its not the end. Even my dreams were utopian. Perfect love life, perfect job, happiness and love all around. All bullshit, I tell u. Sorry, that’s the cynic in me talking. Life kinda does that to you. I mean I do try to look at the bright side of things as is advised. But sometimes the silver lining is a li’l too thin and no matter how hard I look, I just can’t see it. A lot of ppl call me the black hat, maybe because I seem to have a skeptical viewpoint about most things. When people get all excited and happy about good and happy events, I tend to look for the catch in it. So you cant say that to be human is not to be too cynical. Being a cynic is a lesson you learn. 23 years of experience of this journey called life has taught me that you should always have a pessimistic attitude. If things go bad, you would not be shocked but if things go good, then you can always be pleasantly surprised. I m an avid believer in Garfield’s philosophy. One of my favourites is

Jon: I'm depressed, Garfield. After I'm gone, no-one will care that I ever existed. "
Garfield: " Hey, cheer up, Jon. They don't even care now. "

No comments: