Sunday, March 09, 2008

I believe I can fly......

I have always loved dancing.. Ever since the day I walked into a dance class, ghungroos on my little feet as a four year old tot.. My mom says that I had rhythm in my step.. Dad says that he sent me there cos I kept imitating Madhuri Dixit and I was good (Thank you baba!!)

Since then, till now I have flitted from classical to semi-classical to Bollywood to just plain freestyle.. I just love the feeling when the music starts, my feet move and I forget everything else... I feel graceful, light, beautiful... As if the world has ceased to exist and there is just me and the music.. My body responds to music, be it in the bus, in the lift, at restaurants, just abt anywhere..

So when I found out that there was to be a dance, I had to be a part of it.. U cant imagine the thoughts that flitted thru my mind.. Colleagues who have never seen me dance, who see me as this heavy, not so graceful person.. What wud ppl say when they watch me perform.. What if I hav forgotten to dance.. Ridiculous but true

Nevertheless, I followed my heart.. Learned the steps.. Practiced with the guys.. Got all dressed up.. Tucked in the 'aanchal' of my saree.. And there I was all set to mesmerise..

The music started and I was on stage.. I dont remember what happened after that.. I was moving to the music, my hands and feet knew the movements well.. Smile on my face, mischief in my eyes.. No restraints, just sheer excitement.. I would never forget the evening.. It was, in my limited vocab, AWESOME... Loved the stage, the cheering, the hooting, the compliments, just about everything

Thank you to the wind below my wings.. It feels nice to know that I can fly [:)]

So while I relive my joy in my head and tend to my tired feet...... Cheers to all those ppl out there who are still spreading their wings!!!

1 comment:

Parul said...

Appu,

Its the world that stops us...there are only a few who have the wings :)

All the best!!