Monday, July 21, 2008

Do they leave or just hover around??

Ghosts... Of Christmas Past, Present or Yet to Come?? That is the first line of thought. Charles Dickens' Christmas tale was very entertaining, not scary at all. It talks of redemption, of realisation of one's folly and subsequent change in one's behaviour, I mean I can actually hear the clanging of the bell in the temple in a Bollywood movie at the moment when Scrooge decides to turn over a new leaf. (Can I be more cliched??)
The Ghost of Christmas Past is a favorite character of mine. Every time a skeleton comes walkin out of my closet or a person I had buried deep inside reappears, I get this intense feeling of Deja vu. I mean the ghosts just do not go down quiet. The calm moments in life are always the lull before the storm, like a temporaray ceasefire. The blasts from my past are loud and very very real. They come flitting in, do their thing and walk out just as coolly.
Sometimes, when I look around myself, I see people who I know I wil carry with myself, who have been there for a long time. And then there are those who will most definitely phase out of my life, then realise that they did not like the way I treated them and so walk right back in at the most inopportune moment. It has happened before and I know it will happen again. So what do I do? Nothing :-)
This prompt raised a lot of disturbing thoughts, most of which I would keep in my head and not put into words, for the sheer fear of being haunted by them for days to come. However, it also struck this nostalgic chord. Of childhood and vacations and ghost stories.
My dadu (maternal grand-father) is like a master story-teller. A pause here, throat clearing there, the expressions and the intonations, and most importantly, the well-timed break in the story. Vacations with him meant long walks, eating otherwise-banned 'khuch-khach' at otherwise-banned roadside shops, continuous search operations for his specs and snuff-box, but above all, 'bhooter golpo' or ghost stories. Dadu was a railway guard, for goods trains. So his stories had the element of lonely journeys on secluded tracks, to places I had never heard about. My grand mother scoffed at his stories, my brother was always busy with his cartoons but my childhood revolved around his words, so much so that some stories were spread over successive visits. One day, the stories stopped. I really dont know why. He says that he ran out of stories. I think I grew up and he lost his most ardent listener. I havent asked him to tell me a story in a long time. I remember his animated face and the seriousness with which I held onto his every word, to the point of shooing people who let out giggles during story-telling. I dont think I would have the same fervour today. I dont want to dilute the memory.
I wish dadu is around forever.. Not move on like didu and amma or my other dadu who I never saw.. My kids need to experience his presence, of having a dadu who enlightens you with the forms of ghosts in the world, reinforcing the existence of bad which you can eliminate with the good in you.. He has been a essential part of my growing up, he has to be a part of theirs.
So while I call up dadu and coax him into penning down his stories for me....Cheers to ghosts, both friendly and scary, to each his own!!!!!

Click here for more on Ghosts....

10 comments:

Fali said...

:) lovely and nostalgic.
I remembered my own grandpa reading this..he was like that too, full of stories.
Thanks for all the comments on my blog..keep visiting.
Just a small thought - make the font non-italicised and bigger..would be easier to read.
cheers

Anonymous said...

Yup I agree...you may wish some ghosts would just vaporise and disappear or vanish (the way at the end of all bhutiya movies) but there they would be in flesh and blood when you least expect them!
Also loved your summary of Mumbai stint...quite similar to what I felt...hope you liking amdavad...and great to hear Dumness would be back in india soon

danni said...

very sentimental and loving look back at your grampa and your childhood --- made me miss my own grampy so much --- so enjoyed reading this piece!!!

Insomniac said...

@Fali... Thanks so much for visiting.. I love what you write, the way you write.. So constant stopper-by, I would be.. Suggestion taken, wil make necessary changes :-)

@Dhivya... We do think alike, so I can always empathise with your posts. Thanks for all the compliments. Yeah, Amdavad has its own charm. Stint gettin over tomorrow. Post coming up soon.
I am glad abt Dum'ness too, though it is me who is having to go to him :-)

@Danni... So glad you enjoyed it. Well, bundle of emotions, thats what I am. Hope not too much of it spills over

Heart'n'Soul said...

U remined me of my grand dad tellin me n my sis all those stories...lol

And as far as the ghosts are concerned...all i say is, thy r called ghosts cuz they come back n haunt you...else thy wud be plain dead...lol

Anonymous said...

I probably do not have the genre/amount of experiences that you have from your childhood but that is not the point.The point is,Grand parents are far more instrumental in the early shaping of personalities ( No, I do not have kids.I am not done with Under grads :P ).There is a role that can possibly never be played by parents.Its all complimentary,the way I see it.Good to know that you think of your grandparents the way you do.I have people around me ( sadly ) who do not hesitate to bash them for the reason that they invade their privacy ( privacy ? My @$$ ).

For mos

Anonymous said...

ur tagged..boohahaha

Ashmita said...

Is it just me or are all grandparents the same that way?

Everyone had their share of stories from grandparents when they were kids.. but its a shame our generation would rather watch tv and plain ignore their grandparents than actually spending time with them still.
Its very amusing talking to them.
My last trip to kolkata i found out that my thamma's sister ( related grandmom) had travelled around the world and visited places like paris and St. Petersburg in the 1930's.That my dadu wanted to actually stay a bachelor, but fell head over heels with thamma when his parents forced him to marry.
Every conversation with them has a surprise element.

Well written.
Will keep dropping by!

Insomniac said...

@Divkiran... :-D I completely agree..So shud I just kill the people who trouble me? Wud solve the problem once and for all. :-P

@Mishra... Grandparents are basically people who could not spoil their children, so they have a free hand with their children's children.. so often I hear my mom complain that my dadu supports me in things that he had made taboo for them.. I m dead sure my mom wud love to pamper my kids and watch me try to discipline them :-)

@Dhivya... Third Tag in a week or so. Shall be honored in due course of time.

@Ashmita... Your grandma sounds like some fiery woman. Wud love to hear the rest of her stories some time. U shud post some. M glad u liked what u read. Do drop by whenever u like

Anonymous said...

Hi ,

I was reading ur blog posts and found some of them to be wow.. u write well.. Why don't you popularize it more.. ur posts on ur blog ‘Illegitimi Non Carborundum’ took my particular attention as some of them are interesting topics of mine too;

BTW I help out some ex-IIMA guys who with another batch mate run www.rambhai.com where you can post links to your most loved blog-posts. Rambhai was the chaiwala at IIMA and it is a site where users can themselves share links to blog posts etc and other can find and vote on them. The best make it to the homepage!

This way you can reach out to rambhai readers some of whom could become your ardent fans.. who knows.. :)

Cheers,