Sunday, July 13, 2008

Dosti...

There is thing about friendship.. You might lose touch, find new people, not meet for ages.. But the connection remains..
I have seen this happen a lot, especially with the advent of Orkut and Facebook.. I have rediscovered people, tracked down people who I believed I had lost to time.. To people who do not know me at all, I have stayed in three different cities, gone to four different educational institutions, do not have a so-called "native place".. So though I do know a lot of people and love most of them, there are only so many people with whom I continue to keep in touch on a regular basis..
So normally when I find old friends or even acquaintances like neighbours or classmates on Orkut, I always leave a variation of the same scrap "Hi!! This is me. Long time!! Do scrap back if the name rings a bell." And honest to god, in 80% cases, I do not even expect a reply, for various reasons. This holds the truest in case of the people from Jamshedpur, cos I left that city in 1996, so I havent met that bunch of people for 12 years. And you cant imagine the ecstacy, when every single person I scrap replies back, showing a flicker and more of recognition.
We reconnect on scrapbooks, mails, G-Talk and fone, I leave the choice to them. Its amazing how we remember incidents, birthdays, people, quirks, pet peeves, inspite of being soo zoned out of each other's lives. Yup, the connection is very rarely of the same intensity, cos truth be told, we have moved on in life. But it is awesome to view the changes in each other, share latest updates and future plans.
This line of thought came out of this week's prompt on Sunday Scribblings. The first person who popped into my mind.....

She, of the dreamy thoughts and quiet understanding, the whacky suggestions and motherly affections. Shared interests, Different backgrounds. 12 years since I met her, the distance and the communication gap notwithstanding, we have remained the best of friends. Dissecting life's silliest issues, bitching about the world and its grandmother, post-midnight discussions on life-changing events, hers is the first number I dial when I wanna talk. Ranting, raving, reflecting, rehashing. Complete in-your-face booing down of bad ideas, yet full-fledged relentless support in decisions. No notion of private space whatsoever, to the point of no shame. Unconditional love in its best avatar. She knows what she means to me.

So while I wait for her to find her way here and then get all cheerful...... Here's to friendships, old and new, alive and dead!!!

For more on Old Friends, visit
Sunday Scribblings....

15 comments:

Sameera Ansari said...

Friendship truly knows no bounds.Technology certainly does wonders at times!

Nice post :)

Forgetfulone said...

I love the description of your "dreamy" friend and her friendship.

danni said...

isn't it a kick when you reconnect with someone after time apart and see how changes and personal growth has impacted them??? - i hope your friend finds her way to your post very soon, cuz it's great and you are both fortunate to have one another!!!

Tammie Lee said...

Your first line:There is thing about friendship.. You might lose touch, find new people, not meet for ages.. But the connection remains..

this is so true for me as well. Friends pick right up where they left off, that might be evidence of a good friend.

lovely that you have SHE.

Insomniac said...

@Sameera... Thanx!! Well yeah, technology has helped in keeping people bonded

@Forgetfulone... She is precious, much more than words could explain

@Danni... It is awesome, sply if the changes are unexpected. She wil find her way, though she isnt much of a regular blog reader. Shud I tel her?? :-)

@Tammi... That line is drawn from experience. Its quite comforting when there are conversations which last over months. :-)

Surya, the Ayrus! said...

read you for the first time through sunday scribblings... found u refreshing and soulful!

Anonymous said...

And I thought phrandship was within the purview of Orkut perverts :D. The feelings that thou share with SHE is certainly advocated by Plato, or is it ;) ?
Cheers

void said...

Tag, you're it.

Gauri Gharpure said...

quite right, these observations... :)

Heart'n'Soul said...

Thts so true
Friendship rules...i ws jst readin this sms ystrday tht talkd bout frndship...

Strtd with sayin tht its about a winter nite, 4 frndz, mild rain and 4 cups of coffee....and moved on to say that its abut 4 old frnds, 4 separate cities, 4 coffee mugs and a messngr

Nice post :)

Heart'n'Soul said...

Oh and just blogrolled u...hope its ok

Gauri Gharpure said...

have tagged you

Anonymous said...

I just have to admit that you are lucky and I am not.I have been to places but I just do not remember people.Though they do but I just do not miss anyone.Problem with me ? accepted.

You are lucky, end of story !!

Insomniac said...

@Surya.. Thanks a lot for all the nice things you have said. :-) Sunday Scribblings does help in discovering an assortment of people and their blogs

@Dum'ness.. Alas!! 'Phrandship', as you call it, does have a number of forms and they no boundaries do they know, technological or Plato-oriented..

@Void.. Thanks for visiting. Tag I do accept

@Gauri.. Glad you agree. And tag is accepted, though it wil take some time.

@Divkiran.. We all have these unique ways of describing friendship. I know the msg you r talkin abt. Am glad you liked what you read.

@Mishra.. I do agree. Lucky I am, but then I do not miss people either. Just check in with them from time to time to know that they are around. Keeps me secure.

perceptions said...

the 12 years are steadily turning into 13 now.....the dreamy thoughts are all almost gone....the whacky suggestions have become whackier....
but the affection and understanding and acceptance for u and of u have now become a part of my genetic code....not going away anytime soon :)
love u girl....always...uuummmaaah