Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Over-achieving, am !??

I started talking when I was less than 12 months old. It didn't come as a surprise to anyone. You see I started walking at 9 months. I started going to school as soon as I turned 2. I was completely self-sufficient by the age of 4. I had the a cast iron digestive system, I could eat and drink anywhere and never fall sick. The problem is that once you have shown potential, your every achievement becomes a must-have.

I have however seen two very strange aspects to this fact. My perfectly normal brother did everything as per the time frame of normal babies. He has never shown any extraordinary feats and hasn't been ahead of his time, like I have. So he had actually been labelled 'slow'. I have always thought that its extremely unfair. Not that he has voiced any complaints, but I am very sure he would have a lot of resentment in his heart of heart for a over-achieving show-off sister. He did however asked me once if I could fail at leastonce, just so that he would come out looking good. The continuous comparison between me and my brother, by the kith n kin in general and my parents in particular, I believe has made him especially quiet and reserved. And it has taught me something that I would remember in case of my kids. Each kid is unique on his/her own. If somebody wants completely alike children, they should simply clone themselves or whoever they want their children to be like.

At the other end of this spectrum has been the unenthusiastic, often blah reaction that these very people have shown to the stuff I have done well in life which had invoked an intense fear of failure in me. I have seen mediocre cousins/friends being praised for the marks they get or occasional accolades they win. In the same thread, the marks I have got have never been enough, because more has been expected, because I could have done so much better. Teachers have written 'Can do better.' My parents have often forgotten to tell people about a debate/quiz/dance competition I have won or event I have compered or something that I have deemed important. And they have brushed aside this occasional slip, saying that its just another thing. Other people need encouragement, I have been told when as a kid I have complained about the lack of appreciation for my accomplishments. So what did I need then? Discouragement, utter nonchalance.

Trust me, its not like I regret much about my life. I stand by my every decision. It also isn't like I hold a grudge against anyone. I truly believe everyone does the best that they can. We all are the best people we can be. Even if there is something that I have not liked or have deemed wrong, the doer of the act would not have done it if he would have thought it was wrong. So I have always placed full faith on his/her judgement.

So why do I crib? Because I can. Because I want to. I could pick up the phone and crib to actual people. But better here, in a world where no one knows me than in a world where other not-so-evolved people would hold it against me forever.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

u dont need to under achieve so that folks around you should treat well...U were born extra ordinary so be unique...dnt just be the gal nxt door...You very well knw wat u are n wat u could become!!!